spoon

Baked Oatmeal Recipe

0

Category : , ,

Out of the three meals, I've found breakfast to be the trickiest for our dairy, egg and peanut allergy child. With traditional pancakes, waffles and omelets all off the menu, eating out for breakfast pretty much never happens. However, when at home, I'm always looking for ways to reinvent the classics.

This Sunday, Father's Day, I woke up and realized I had nothing planned for breakfast. With a child's serving of cheerios left in the box, a cereal and milk morning was out. My best friend from Pennsylvania had also spent the night, so combined with Father's day, I felt compelled to go beyond toast with sun butter. Maybe it was my Lancaster county heritage calling to me, but I decided to go with Baked Oatmeal. This is one of my favorite breakfast foods and after trying several recipes, I've created my go-to adaptation for our food allergy child. On this particular day, I topped the oat mixture with fresh peaches and extra brown sugar and nary a belly was hungry afterwards!

Baked Oatmeal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

  • 3 C rolled oats
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 C almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 2/3 C applesauce
  • 1/2 C melted butter substitute- I use Earth Balance Vegan buttery sticks
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • Fresh fruit (optional)
Combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Add to it the almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup and melted butter and mix until combined. Mix in or top with your choice of fruit; raisins, blueberries, peaches... Bake in a greased 9*13 baking dish for 40 minutes. Serve warm with almond milk.

You can make this the night before by preparing recipe as instructed, covering and refrigerating over night and baking in the morning. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment